Monday, April 19, 2010

Lateley


It's a good thing that I've been taking pictures lately, because I wouldn't be able to remember anything otherwise. Life seems like a whirlwind but we are enjoying every day that flies by. Here are a few fun things that Ben and I have enjoyed this past month or so:


Celebrating


The whole family came down to Pike Road for Easter this year. It was my first "holiday" to host everyone and we had a great time! Above is a family photo that we took on Easter with mom and dad cropped out. Sorry mom and dad, we'll get a better family photo soon!

Ben's mom and dad invited my whole family over for dinner with all the Lassiters, complete with an Easter Egg hunt! It was fun watching our nieces and nephew hiding and finding, hiding and finding all the eggs over and over again. After several hunts, Adalyn finally suggested that we just hide the basket instead of each individual egg.


Ben and Neal took the kids for a spin in the cool golf cart that Obama gave Neal and Tori. Thanks Obama.


In the meantime, I enjoyed attempting to capture some cute shots of the kiddos. Here is Cole telling me how many Easter Eggs he found. This is serious business.


I love this one of Cate with her great grandpa.




Baby Sitting!


Russ and Jessi went on a short getaway and Ben and I got to keep Adalyn and Bentley for a little while. We had a good time playing hide and seek with Adalyn, baking a cake, and gaining experience on what it's like to have two kids instead of just two dogs to look after. Needless to say, Berkley and Pete didn't get very much attention that day.

I got to take some pictures of Adalyn and Bentley together and I'm working on editing some of those. I have had a lot of fun taking pictures of things other than dogs and birds. Adalyn is such a good big sister and Bentley was an angel the entire day.


While the cake was baking, we had naptime.


Then we all loaded up, picked up some pizza, and headed to Mimi's house to play with Cole and Cate. While we were in the car waiting on Ben to get the pizza, Adalyn filled me in on how no one in Auburn (where she lives) knew how to drive. I told her that no one in Montgomery knew how to drive either.


Here are the kids at Mimi's after a pizza dinner. After dinner activities included hunting more Easter Eggs, even until it was so dark we could barely see them.


When Ben and I got back in our car to go home that night, Ben looked at me and before he could speak I said, "I know, I'm not ready either." He said, "Good." I admire all of you moms out there! I know it is a full time job and I respect the fact that you can raise kids and still function as a normal person. Maybe one day .....

Cooking


At the end of March, it was our turn to host Life Group. It was also our turn to cook for everyone. Ben decided that he wanted to cook a Boston butt with all the fixins and then that somehow evolved into "Que Dogs" (pictured above). "What is a Que Dog?" Everyone was asking at church when Ben announced that "Que Dogs" was what's for dinner. "You'll just have to come and find out." Was his only reply. "Everyone has to at least taste a Que Dog." I was getting so frustrated because, I for one, do not like hotdogs. A lot of people do not like hotdogs. However, we went to the store and bought 2 packages of hotdogs, one package of sausages, and over 20 hotdog buns. "Why??" I kept asking. "Why, for the love??" "Que Dogs!!!"
I was really trying not to hurt Ben's feelings by doubting because he was just so excited about these "Que Dogs."

However, to my (and everyone's) astonishment, the "Que Dogs" were fantastic! It involved making a hotdog, putting slaw on top (I made homemade slaw for the first time and it wasn't too bad), putting Bar-B-Que on top of that, then topping it off with shredded cheese and, you guessed it, Bar-B-Que sauce. And there you have it, the Que Dog!

I love trying out new coffee drink recipes like "Spiced Mocha Coffee" from myrecipes.com and the one pictured above, Pioneer Woman's Dulce de Leche coffee. It was fantastic and you can find it on her website www.thepioneerwoman.com. If you like coffee house drinks, you will love this one you can make at home. The picture on her website is much better than the one I have pictured here.


Coaching

I have had the pleasure of helping my sister in law, Jessi, coach the Trinity girl's soccer team this season. I had the best time getting to know these girls, spending time with Jessi, and getting to experience soccer again. The varsity girls are still working towards making the play offs and I am excited about getting to go to some of their games as well!

And, I think that about sums up the highlights of the last couple of months with the exception of our garden which I'll be posting about soon!

3 comments:

Haley said...

Your pictures are SO GOOD. I want to have Que Dogs when yall come stay with us... in 5 years.
And don't let other people's kids make you think you aren't ready for your own; even now, I don't like other people's kids. Their poop smells worse, their tantrums are worse, they aren't as smart as mine... you get the picture. :) (I am only somewhat kidding.)
When you have your own it's a lot easier and less frustrating.

A said...

Agree! We can even tell a difference between the kids I sit for and our nieces and nephews. It's funny when "ours" spill something, say something, etc. It's frustrating when "not ours" do. :) I think we're wired like that!

Katie said...

Thanks yall! The thing is, the girls were perfect angels all day long. I think my child is going to be like me: stubborn and won't take naps. Thus, I am in for it!