Friday, September 19, 2008

Fall Fever


Fall is in the air and I am loving it! Over the years I have come to love what I call the "changing seasons" the most. I think that all of the seasons are wonderful and special in there own way, from the hot days spent at the pool in the summer time to the soup, cocoa, and Christmas festivities of winter time. However, it's the return of green leaves and warmer days in the spring and the beautiful colors of fall that make me the most excited. I call fall and spring the "changing seasons" because when they arrive, you can feel it in the air. Something changes. The picture was taken at Mentone last November on our family get away that has become a new tradition. It was so beautiful there with all of the leaves in their vibrant colors! My family will take another November getaway this year to the mountains in Blue Ridge, Georgia. Here are some things that I am enjoying about the coming of Fall so far:
1. Football season is here! There is just something so exciting about getting together with friends and family to cheer on your team. I love making dips and trying out now appetizers to take to the get-togethers and tailgates! War Eagle!
2. The cool weather. The past several days have brought perfect weather! The temperature was cool, but not too cool. Ben and I have been opening our windows at night and early in the mornings and just turning off the a.c.. I love the smell of the outside and the breeze is just enough to cool the house to the perfect temperature. This weather also nice for running. Strap on that ipod and go for a jog at sunset!
3. Burning candles and my Bath and Body Works Oil Burner (also pictured). Don't get me wrong, I am sort of obsessed with candles and my oil burner and I burn them year round. However, I couldn't resist stopping in Bath and Body Works and checking out their new fall fragrances. They have every fall scent you can think of from "Freshly Fallen Leaves" to "Caramel Apple." If you don't have an oil burner from Bath and Body Works, stop what you are doing and go buy one. These things can scent your whole house in a matter of minutes. Warning: in confined spaces the smell can get too strong quickly so you may want to only burn in it for short periods of time. All you need is a bag of tea lights and your favorite scented oil to go with it!

4. Caramel apples. I love caramel apples but you really only see them for sell at specialty candy shops and fairs. Thus, if I want a caramel apple then I have to make it myself or shell out about five dollars for one of the fancy ones. I can honestly say that Ben would die if I spent over 1.50 on a caramel apple. That leaves me with the option of making my own. During the fall you can find these nifty little caramel apple making kits that are very easy to use. You take the apple, wrap the caramel sheet around it (that's right, it's like a big flat circle of caramel), stick the stick in it, bake it for 5 minutes, and wa - la! Caramel apple for me.
5. Apple Cider. As soon as the cartons of apple cider start showing up in the produce section, I know that fall has arrived! I've noticed that not a lot of people are apple cider fans, but I love the stuff! I found a recipe for Cider Mill Punch in my yellow "Calling All Cooks" cookbook that my grandomther gave me. I make about a gallon (sometimes two gallons on accident) of it at least once a year for all to enjoy. However, I'm usually the only one who really drinks it with the exception of an occasional guest who would like to give it a try.
6. Fall decorations. I love it when the brightly colored mums and the bright orange pumpkins start lining people's porches when fall comes. I just had to grab a few yellow and orange mums to add some color our front porch. I'm going back today to get some for the back porch as well. They are $4.15 at Wal Mart and easy to care for. Some people get really creative with their fall decorations with the gords, hay bells, fall leaves, etc. I'm not quite that creative, but I'm working on it.....
I hope that everyone else is enjoying the start of Fall as much as I am! Take advantage of the wonderful weather!

5 comments:

Julie Young said...

I loved your post. It got in the mood for tomms game!

A said...

YUM caramel apples. I love fall too-- weird to be in a fleece in September, but I won't question it!

McKinney Madness said...

I have an oil burner, and I love it! But you're right- it can give you a headache if you're not too careful!! :)

A said...

Send me your mom's blog!!

A said...

Hey! You comment on my blog so often, you should consider starting your own! :) hehe. Love your comments and yes, sorry I lied. Actually, not sorry. I didn't go all 80s-mama in Target.

Hey, I miss you. Can't wait to see you soon1