Monday, August 10, 2009

The Best Mocha I've Ever Had

I could barely hear Ben yelling my name over the sound of my hair dryer.  It was Monday morning and I was late for work already.  Finally, I realized there was another sound coming from the living room. I turned around to find Ben standing on one foot in the middle of the wool rug. The other foot was lifted in the air just so I could see that the bottom of it was covered in poop.  That's right. My precious Berkley had struck again.  

Since Berkley is more "my dog," I am ultimately responsible for cleaning up the messes.  Plus, I want Ben to like him. So, I dropped the hair dryer while simultaneously grabbing the wet wipes and make it from my bathroom to the living room in a single bound and in the same motion begin to wipe the poo from Ben's foot. This event paired with cleaning the smashed in poo out of the rug makes me even later for work.  Did I mention I am supposed to open the pharmacy?
Anyway, in my lateness I had not been able to make my morning coffee.  

I have coffee EVERY morning.  So, in order to make myself feel better about the rough morning, (did I mention that I was also sick?) I vow that I can push myself to allow enough time to swing by Star Bucks (there is one right infront of this particular Wally World) before going into work.  I deserved a treat, right? So, treat myself I did.  I ordered my favorite, a mocha.  I sometimes get them hot, I sometimes get them cold, but this particular morning I went with hot.  

I took the first sip.  Best. Mocha. Ever.  I was so excited. I couldn't believe it.  I mean, it was the perfect balance of chocolate and espresso.  It wasn't too hot.  It wasn't too strong. It was amazing. So, I called Star Bucks. Really. I called them a couple of hours later.  The conversation was awkward but it went something like this: 

"Hey, um.. I got a mocha there this morning, a little before 8:00. And, well, it was the best mocha I ever had. It made my day and I really appreciate it.  I just wanted to let yall know."

I think at first the Star Bucks girl thought I was calling to complain.  Then she seemed pleasantly surprised when I had something good to say.  She said she'd pass the word on to the person who made it.  She probably thought I was a weirdo. I don't care. I was having a rough morning and it was really nice to have something go right to turn it all around.  

Do you feel special and appreciated when someone complements you and lets you know that you are good at what you do? I know I do.  

2 comments:

A said...

Um, not to be a mocha grubber, but if I were you, I'd submit that "kudos" into starbucks corporate online. I did that once and got 2 gift certificates as a thank you for feedback. Share the love! It comes back around... :)

Katie said...

Ohhh good idea!