Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Random Post About Work

There have been multiple times at work that I have had to look around and ask, "Am I the only one seeing this??!" For example, when the lady walks up to the counter with 100+ gold safety pins in in her hair, or when a 70+ year old stick skinny lady walks past with hair that is composed of one giant white dreadlock. Usually I have to do this because what I am seeing is so completely bizarre that I need confirmation that it is, in fact, real. For example, yesterday I am at my computer making the regular checks and I hear "PRAISE JESUS I AM DOING GOOD TODAY!! GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! THANK YOU JESUS! THANK YOU JESUS! GET BEHIND ME SATAN!"

Huh? Really? I sink down behind my computer, which is standard practice when we want to hide our reactions from the people out front, and turn around to confirm that I am not hallucinating. The shouting continued in the same format. It was coming from a lady who was in line at the register. After her purchase was made she yelled to us, "Be Blessed Children!" We said, "You too, mam." And then had someone follow her to her car to make sure she arrived home safely. I tend to think most of these people are insane, which many of them are, but the general consensus was that this lady was drunk. This is not a rare occurrence either, I just have a hard time telling the difference.

While it took me nearly 2 full years on the job to stop feeling like I was going to cry every time I had to enforce a law and a customer didn't like it, I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed by the crazy things people say and do. Don't get me wrong, my skin isn't super thick yet. I still get upset when people cuss at me and I get really mad when people argue and I get really aggravated when people are complete idiots but act like I am the one that just doesn't get it. Sometimes it makes me want beat my head on the counter. However, people like the safety pin lady, the dreadlock lady, the people with bugs in their ears, weird rashes, bizaar clothing, and random shout outs to Satan really keep my job interesting. I can honestly say that I rarely have a dull day. I can also say that there are many days when I just want to go home and sit on the couch and just stare at a wall.

It's a crazy world out there. If you are usually surrounded by pretty normal people and don't get much excitement, I invite you to visit my place of work. I promise, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Lisa Highfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading this...everybody needs to vent but you do it so well:) Stay strong.