Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fair Hope



At the end of July we took a trip to Fair Hope, AL with my parents for a little weekend getaway.  My mom had a conference nearby so she rented this quaint little cottage on the bay that was big enough for all of us.  It was small and simple and just right.



We arrived late Friday night and then woke up early on Saturday morning to pelicans diving for fish right off the dock.  


Mom, Mason, the dogs, and I all went down to the pier for a better view.  Mason liked watching the birds but was more concerned with his banana nut bread.  I should add that this was the weekend after his surgery that was on Wednesday and he was dealing with a little ulcer under his tongue that was giving him problems.  His appetite was not up to par but he did go for the nut bread (made in bulk by my grandmother). 



Pete and Berkley were infatuated with the pelicans.


After we spent most of the morning relaxing on the pier, we all got ready and went in search of a place to eat lunch.  Nothing seemed to work out the way we planned when it came to finding a restaurant.  However, we ended up at Wentzel's and it was alright.  Probably would do that over if we could.


But we did get a rare family photo in front of a really old tree in the parking lot.  After lunch it was pouring down rain and mom and I ran into Bay Candle Company real quick to pick out one (or 2) of their much loved candles.  Mom bought us all a candle there when she was in Fair Hope last summer and I am now obsessed.  I bought a HUGE one and I LOVE it.


We came back to our cottage and watched the storm roll in.


Then things got heated in a game of Monopoly.  Who plays Monopoly these days anyway?  My game piece was the thimble since I am such an avid seamstress and Ben's was the iron since he is an iron-aholic (not and not).  My favorite quote during the game came from my mother, "Katie, I will trade you both of your railroads for Larry's electric company."  Dad had just taken a drink and spit water all over the place laughing. By the end of the game we decided that property owners make all the money so we need to buy a rental property.  The End.


By the time the never-ending game of Monopoly was over, the sun was just coming back out and we spent a little time on the porch before getting ready for supper.


Poodle really enjoyed himself the whole time.  I thought he was a goner the first morning when we let him out to potty.  I could not find him anywhere. I was in near panic mode thinking he must have gotten hit by a car since he wasn't coming when I called him.  I have no idea where he went but thankfully he finally showed back up.  He is such a clown, much like this guy...


His cousin Big Charles. This one rivals Berkley in all things silly and crazy.  


We got ready for dinner and took a minute to take some photos.  Mason was cooperative and loved posing for the camera.


Matt arrived with Big Charles just in time to go eat with us!  Unfortunately the drive was too long for Cara to make for a short weekend.  We missed you Sissy!


We ate dinner at a neat little place with live music which was really loud and perfect for Mason who didn't seem to want to cooperate on any occasion.  






I guess it was due to the surgery or a coincidental little phase because he didn't want to eat anything but french fries (not normal for him) and was very stubborn when it came to whatever he wanted to do (like not sitting in his seat at meals).  Thank goodness I think we are on the upside because he is now back to his normal self eating just about everything and being more cooperative at meal times. Thank you Mason. 



I am not saying that there are never problems.  Right now he really loves to pull Berkley's ears very hard.  Hard enough to make Berkley whine.  So, we have implemented time out.  So far it works.  Sort of.  He actually sits where I tell him to and I find that amazing in itself.


Here he is trying to get my mom to take him down to the dock.  He can really work the pitiful face.  I was so thankful for that baby gate at the top of the stairs!!


Ba Ba (what Mason appears to be calling my dad these days) was able to keep him entertained with a box of Cheez its.  Cheez its are one of Mason's favorites along with granola bars.  Right, granola bars...?  He takes us to the pantry and points to them all the time trying to get us to give him one.  We are talking Oat and Honey hard granola bars.  When we ran out of those he ate the Quaker Oat chewy granola bars.  When we ran out of those he ate my Sweet and Salty granola bars.  He has eaten all of them.  He asks for one every day.  We have been out of them for several days and he is still asking.


Here he is relaxing in the car watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  He loves it! When the theme song comes on his face lights up and he dances.  Then he waves at all the characters as they are introduced.


On Sunday, Matt and Ben went deep sea fishing for red snapper and Dad, Mom, Mason, and I all went to the community pier to see what we could see.


We stopped for breakfast at Old 27 Grill which sounded neat but turned out to be not so good.  But Mason had fun playing with the rocks and fake goat.  Also, I should add that my dad is doing so well!! He is now up and walking around (as you can tell from this picture) and his hip has healed!  When this picture was taken he had just started to walk again.  It sure was great to see him up and going.


Of course the trip wouldn't be complete without corn on the cob.


Mom and Dad bought Mason at least half a dozen ears of corn for his 2 day stay.  


I have more pictures from Sunday to post later so come back soon!


katielassiter

No comments: