Thursday, June 18, 2009

Considering These Purchases....

I have been considering these two purchases for quite some time now and  I have spontaneously decided that this is the time to act on both.  Since Ben and I have about 2 more years before we want to have children (that's our plan, at least), then now is the time to get another dog. Yay! Look, I know that the standard poodle isn't exactly everyone's dream dog, (I have deduced this from some of the responses I received from friends such as "Ew." and "Why?") but I think it is the ideal dog for us. Here's why:

1. Pete needs a friend. The poodle will be able to hold its own with Mr. Peterson.
2. I want the standard size because I have enjoyed having a larger dog which is more threatening to intruders. (Not that we have had any intruders, but you know what I mean.)
3. Poodles do not shed. (A huge plus in my book since Pete is a shedder.)
4. Poodles, as a breed, are very smart dogs and are actually in the working dog class. People have made them all fru fru looking with that stupid gigantic pom pom hair cut. No, my poodle will not be pink!
5. My other considerations were a greyhound (adopting a retired racer), an Italian Greyhound (basically a mini greyhound), a Chinese Crested hairless mix (adopted from a shelter), a giant schnauzer, or a Great Dane. So, for various reasons, the poodle won out with the giant schnauzer in a very close second. Well, the greyhound was pretty close. Great Dane's don't live long enough and if we got a Great Dane, where would Pete ride in the car? Oh yeah, and Ben would probably puke at the idea of a Chinese Crested Hairless mix. I didn't even bring that one up in conversation. 

That being said, I put in an application to adopt a standard poodle puppy from a shelter in GA. The chances of me getting one of those puppies is slim to none since I live "2 hours away" and they will not be able to make a "home visit." Anyway, we'll see what happens... 

On to purchase number two....

This is the Canon Rebel XSi.  Back in 2002 I received the 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 as a gift. What a gift, right? Anyway, my parents gave me an awesome zoom lens to go with the Canon Rebel for my 21st birthday.  Not long after I received the lovely 35mm, the digital version came out!  I don't have to tell you the advantages of the digital camera.  Needless to say, I've been drooling over these babies for a while but could hardly consider buying one.  Now is the time. I was going to wait until I had kids to get one of these, but I'm thinking I should go ahead and learn how to use it before they get here.  Otherwise, my good lens is just collecting dust in the closet!  I'm making a trip to Wolfe Camera today so we'll see how it goes.... 










6 comments:

A said...

Yea you! I am a bit sad that you didn't go for a mini. Oh the days in Italy! Guess that means I have to get one. :)

Haley said...

YEAAAA!!! Oh my gosh, girl, I just got a Nikon D60 and it has made ALL the difference! Granted, it won't be my put-it-in-my-pocket-and-take-it-everywhere camera, but you will save TONS of money getting photos of your children, because if you have a good camera (and a MacBook), you can make even ordinary pictures look amazing! We need to get together and do a photoshoot of something :)

Let us know about the dog soon! How exciting!

Katie said...

Ashley, start working on Brian now and you'll have a mini greyhound running around by Christmas time. :) I definitely saw one in the pet store yesterday! I was like, aw, Miles....

Haley, oh yes, a photo shoot would be awesome! I think that if I get the camera now, by the time my kids get here I'll be good at using it! Ha!

Ross Hatcher said...

Poodle... eww!

You should go with an English Springer Spaniel. Hands down, the single greatest breed of dog ever!

I care as much about your camera as you did about Jon & Kate.

McKinney Madness said...

I am dying to get a new camera and I think the Canon is what I want as well. Please let me know what you think once you get it!!

SGN said...

have you thought about a laberdoodle? they don't shed either. mix between a lab and a poodle and they have great personalities and will be a large sized dog.