Friday, July 3, 2009

Meet My Baby Gorilla

Meet Berkley, the new baby in the Lassiter household.  Berkley is an 8 week old standard poodle pup weighing in at 10.6 lbs.  Since his arrival in Montgomery, Berkley has successfully gotten his bottom teeth stuck in his kennel, fallen into the swimming pool, had an episode of worms, an ear infection, and tracked little footprints of poo poo through the house.  He really enjoys putting both of his front paws in his water dish and then knocking it over. Otherwise, it has been a very calm introduction to his new family.   



Ok, I'm not really being fair.  He's actually been very well behaved for a giant 8 week old. I keep having to remind myself that he's just a baby and that baby's have to learn.  He is sleeping the whole night and doesn't even cry when I put him to bed. He is mainly using the bathroom outside and not in the house which is a huge relief. Today he went to the door for the first time so he could go outside to tee tee. I was very impressed.  Berkley also puts himself in the bathroom for nap time when he gets sleepy and just chews on his little bones.  Overall, I've been very pleased at how smart he is, especially at such a young age.

We can't decide what we think he looks like.  He reminds us of various things from a black sheep, a baby gorilla and a Clydesdale horse.  Mostly I think he is just a baby giant poodle. He has been so funny to watch! He runs and jumps on top of the other dogs, even Pete (who hates it).  He didn't really know how to go down the steps, but he'd just throw himself down them, tumbling to the bottom.  He's catching on to that better now.  In the picture above, he is in the car on his way to the beach. 

Here is Berkley with his aunt Cara.  He likes to sit in your arms like he is sitting on the ground, very odd, but I think it's a poodle thing since Clarke (RIP) was the same way.  In case you are wondering how I ended up with Berkley in the first place,  after my adoption application was rejected from the shelter in GA (biased Georgians), I bought Berkley from a (strange) woman from the Birmingham area.  Mom and dad picked him up for me on their way down to Montgomery for our beach trip.  Thankfully mom and dad had rented a pet friendly home in Sea Grove and Berkley, Pete, and the two Maltese puppies got to come along.  Yes, this is a full house.



Needless to say, we are having lots of fun!  Ben is still unsure about owning a poodle, but he's got Pete, right? Pete's a manly dog.  Anyway, I think Berkley will grow on him. How could you not love him? (Don't answer that, Poodle haters.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think he is adorable! I love poodles :)