Friday, August 1, 2008

When is Your Birfday?

It is common practice at a pharmacy to write the patient's birthday on the prescription they are dropping off to be filled. Why do we need your birthday? So we can make sure the person that we are filling the prescription for is you and not someone else with the same name. I find it odd that two of the most difficult things for me to learn when I started working were:
1. the cash register (that thing is rediculous)
2. how to interpret people's birthdays

You can probably understand why the cash register would be somewhat difficult to get used to, but interpreting birthdays? How hard can that be, right?
When I ask for a birthday I'm expecting your standard reply, "1/7/83" or even "January 7th, 83" would be acceptable. Here are a few things I've heard in the past week.
  • "the fifth, the fourth, of 79"
  • "next month, fifteenth, 50"
  • "first day, sixth month, in the 1963"
  • "17th of the 10th month, 1968"

Really?? So, I get these responses and it confuses me and I ask them to to repeat it. Then they look at me like I'm stupid and say it again. "THE FIRST, THE TENTH, 1980." Ok. Got it.

So I've decided that when people give me their birthday in this manner, I'm going to tell them about their prescription the same way. "In the morning take, High blood pressure for, your medicine, refrigerate not." Any questions?"

6 comments:

A said...

HAHAHA! I love that these people are basically speaking in Haiku without knowing it. That's hilarious. If it makes you feel any better, that's probably their little memory trick for remembering their own bdays.

Ashley "The eighth day of the ninth month in the year of the Boar" Johnson

PS-- the completed barbie pic is now posted on the blog! Eek!

PS-- the

Julie Young said...

LOL!! That is funny. I would have never thought about people doing that. I mean for real, how hard is it to say your b'day!

L said...

that's so funny! i would've been so confused.

thanks for finding me! now i can keep up with you here. blogging is so good for that! i hope you and ben are doing well!!

Kristy said...

Katie, that is hilarious! PLEASE give your response about their medication next time someone pulls that one you. :)

McKinney Madness said...

HILARIOUS!! I can only imagine the things you hear. Seriously... I'd be hardpressed not to laugh in their face! I had no idea you had a blog, but now we can keep in better touch and I'm so excited! It was great seeing you at Shana's wedding! Take care!

A said...

You're in big trouble Lassiter. If you don't update our lonely souls in Birmingham, I may have to post the pics of you from the senior play with the blacked-out front teeth....
I'm just sayin. ;)
Can't wait to see you on Saturday!