Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Time Someone Stepped on My Head

So, I was ironing my clothes for work this morning when a distant memory came to mind.... the time someone stepped on my head.  No, I wasn't laying down. I was standing up.  No, this wasn't a child. It was an adult.  Funny the memories that come to mind when your mind is performing idle tasks.

I was a senior in high school I believe, or it may have been the summer before or after my senior year, I can't remember.  Anyway, my boyfriend at the time was big into all sorts of music and bands and at this stage in life he really liked hard core type music (read: screaming) and emo (read: whining).  So, they were having a lovely little concert featuring both types of music at this place in Birmingham called Sloss Furnace. You have probably heard of it.  I think the concert was called "Sloss Fest"?

Anyway, boyfriend wanted to go to this concert and wanted me to go with him.  I guess he wanted to expose me to some culture.  I was a "Top 40" kind of girl and did not typically listen to these types of bands much less go see them in concert.  The ticket price was around 20 dollars to see different bands play throughout the day.  So, mom and dad gave me permission to go. (Boyfriend was very trustworthy in spite of his taste in "wild" music.)

The morning of the concert I woke up and spent a lot of time considering what I would wear to blend in with this crowd.  After much deliberation I threw on an old red t-shirt and my rattiest pair of jeans with a hole in the knee, complete with my tennis shoes.  I put in some black stud earrings and did my hair in this weird twisty doo.  I felt that I looked the part.

Boyfriend and two or three other people picked me up and we headed for Birmingham.  It wasn't long before we saw the large steel (or is it iron?) structure of the furnace in the distance.  We had arrived. Needless to say, I blended in better than I would have in my typical garb, but I still felt out of place amidst all the people with their jet black hair and extensive piercings.

So, the concert began, one group after another I stood along the outskirts of the concert hall and listened to their music.  From where I was standing I could observe the mosh pit AND the skaters outside the concert area doing their cool skateboard tricks.  It was a site to see.  Lo and behold, a certain group came on stage and boyfriend really wanted me to go up to the front of the stage with him thinking I would really enjoy this particular group... and to be honest, they did have a few good songs that I liked.  I cannot remember their name... oh yeah, I think it was Saves the Day or something like that.  Anyway, so they got going and apparently a mosh pit broke out behind us because people really started shoving. I got shoved up toward the front of the stage. Right when I thought it was over, people started crowd surfing from the back.  Boyfriend did his best to keep the crazies off me, but he didn't see the guy directly behind me who thought he would just climb up other people's body's and start crowd surfing.  So, I was one of those people.  He stepped right on my head and hard!  I was really angry but I was also really scared and my hurt really bad.

Boyfriend felt so bad that he gave me money to cover the cost of my Sloss Fest ticket!  Needless to say, the rest of the evening I just kind of observed from the outskirts.  No more mosh pits for me. No thanks.  

And that concludes the most random story ever posted on this blog.



katielassiter

2 comments:

Haley said...

Aghhhhhhhhh hshahahahahahahsha!!!! I am laughing so hard! I never knew this. This is hilarious!

Katie said...

Haha! it is the most random story ever. I have no idea what made me think of it.